Friday, August 22, 2008

Beijing 2008 Moments

Like any good American, my entire 1 and a half weeks have been consumed with watching every piece of Olympic coverage that comes across our 25" big screen TV. I've watched both triumph and defeat, but through it there have been some memories that stand out between Becky and I that are unforgettable. Here are a few...

  • The night the US men's relay team won the 4x100 relay by .08 seconds against the French (who were talking trash). As Jason Lesak touched first, Michael Phelps and one of the other guys proceed to yell. And I mean YELL... so what did we do? Well we went to bed right afterwards. Becky was asleep during most of the relay only to be woken up by me cheering. So she's fully awake now when we go to bed. I'm pulling back the covers when all of a sudden I get scared when a yelling woman walks into our bedroom. Come to find out she was imitating Michael Phelps! We hop into bed and for the next 30 minutes (no joke) Becky re-enacts Michael Phelps' yell and I imitate the small guy's yell (and actions as he came in under Michael Phelps arms to catch some oh-so-important camera time). Good times.
  • Going to bed at 1 AM for the fourth night in a row, realizing that my night can't possibly be complete until I watch the gynastics all-around final... and then watch it on tape delay so Becky can see it (she had an Arbonne party).
  • Waking up the next morning and realizing I'm not in college anymore.
  • Watching swimming and willing them to swim faster by yelling at the top of our lungs "GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO!!!!!"
  • Being upset every single time a Visa commercial comes up with the slogan "GO WORLD". Seriously? I'm an American. I only cheer for one country thank you, not all. "Don't go world" is more like it...
  • Realizing that Nastia Liukin somehow towers over her competition in height. I'm thinking, "What is she, like 6'2"?". No no, she's 5' 0". Fooled me...
  • For dinner one night, going to Kroger and getting sushi "in honor of the Olympics". And yes, we did watch the Olympics as we ate every piece.
  • Watching the men's beach volleyball final against the American's and the Brazilian's. Becky turned to me and said, "Is his last name BRA? That's weird...". I looked over to her for about 5 seconds and said, "No, he's from BRAzil... You know, like USA." Then Becky realized she had to go to bed.
  • Bela Karolyi... he has enhanced my life over these last 2 weeks.
  • "They are in better position, number two, uhhh like under... uh... an umbrella. An umbrella of protection. A PROTECTIVE UMBRELLA!!" Oh Bela, I love it that you half way know English. Please don't ever fully learn.
  • "She's going to be the Olympic champion. She's going to be the Olympic champion. She's going to be the Olympic champion. YYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!"
  • Bela talking about the judging... "Here's where... I get emotional"
  • Bela talking about the Chinese gymnasts... "Yes, they're underage. Look at them!"
  • Last but not least, last night Becky was trying to get me to turn over halfway through the night. I tell her, "I just want to win the gold." And no, I don't have any recollection of this at all.

That's all for now. Thanks for being in my life Beijing Olympic Games. And for taking it over for two weeks :)

2 comments:

Becky Kiser said...

those are fun times honey!

but you left out one of the best quotes out:

On Saturday morning Chris is already glued to the Olympics. I started giving him a hard time for it, so in all seriousness he turned to me and said: "I just feel like it is my duty to America Becky." And no he wasn't joking!

Jen said...

I am a bad American. I think the summer Olympics (minus the gymnastics and Michael Phelps) are... well, boring. Are you still my friend? I watched the opening ceremonies. And about 10 minutes otherwise...