Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The lights are on, but were they ever really off?

It's official... the downed tree on our power line did not prevent the Kiser house from officially having power around 6 pm tonight.  We were standing in our dining room and all of a sudden I looked up and saw the most welcome site in the last couple of days.  A light... that was on... INSIDE OF OUR HOUSE!  Bless our souls...

It's a funny thing though that when electricity is finally shut off and there is nothing else going around in your house how clear life really becomes.  I've heard of families now that are going to implement a "black out" day in their family every week where the TV will not go on and the family will instead talk and play games together.  You want to know the moment where I really thought it was a good idea?  When Becky and I were on our couches without AC after being away for a week and a half.  What were we doing?  Probably having a deep conversation about how nice it was not to have distractions, right?  Nope... we were playing with our phones.

How sad huh?  Becky and I had just been on a long road trip back from Vegas, but that time wasn't spend talking up a storm either.  It was spent just being.  Spending your life with someone lends to your brain being out of fresh ideas of what to talk about on occasion.  It's not uncommon with us where I'll say on the phone, "Ok, I don't know what to talk about anymore so I'll see you when I get home."  I prefer it that way...

In the season of campaigning all we hear is talk.  In a few years we'll look back on this time (if any of us will even remember it) and see how empty all of this talk really was.  We live in a reactionary world, not a proactive one.  Anyone paying attention to this banking crisis?  So what did the light bulbs going off in my head as we waited for power say?  Exactly what God tries to speak to our hearts everyday that we're alive.

I made you because I wanted a you.  I don't have to hear from you why I should love you because I already do.  I don't have to see your accomplishments or hear about your good deeds or understand what's truly in your heart if time and money were no object.  You're mine... and even when you don't know how much I appreciate you or don't understand the words that I'm speaking to you, that simple fact does not change the fact that you are who I made you to be.  And I love you.  

Now go and be.

No comments: